Rhys has extensive experience acting for issuers, underwriters and shareholders on a wide range of innovative, high value and award-winning transactions, including initial public offerings of companies, business trusts and special purpose acquisition companies, spin-off listings, secondary listings, rights issues and block trades. He continues to advise issuers after listing on their ongoing corporate and compliance work as well as fund-raising exercises.
Chambers cites Rhys as a leading individual and notes client’s feedback that he is ‘very technically sound and liked by bankers. He can spot the issue and provide the solution to the client and always goes above and beyond to do what’s right for the client.” The Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes that Rhys has been “praised for his ‘100% dedication and commitment’ to ‘deliver a high-quality product’ and ‘get the deal done’”. Who’s Who Legal cites Rhys as a recommended practitioner and notes that he is highly regarded for his “very meticulous, technically detailed and business savvy” counsel. IFLR1000 cites Rhys as a notable practitioner and notes clients’ feedback that he is “very 'hands-on' with his transactions and ensures close partner supervision of deals. His advice is consistently thoughtful and practical. He is very adept at capital markets transaction management, often anticipating issues based on his broad experience in the sector. His team provides excellent quality work and is very responsive”.
Other clients have commented that that he is “very knowledgeable and (possesses) excellent legal capability”, provides “value-added advice; responsive; knowledgeable of the area and well connected with regulator”. Another client observes that “he is completely professional in his conduct” and “when the other side listens to his advice as well, one knows that he is in safe hands”.
Rhys has been a Partner of the Firm since 2009.
- Advised Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited and Goldman Sachs (Singapore) Pte., the issue managers on the secondary listing by way of introduction of NIO Inc. on the SGX. This is the first three-way exchange listing across the U.S., Hong Kong and Singapore, the largest pure electric vehicle player listed on Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the SGX, and the largest listing by way of introduction on the SGX.
- Advised J.P. Morgan (S.E.A.) Limited and UBS AG, Singapore Branch, the issue managers on the secondary listing by way of introduction of Emperador Inc. on the SGX. This is the first secondary listing of a company listed on the First Board of the Philippine Stock Exchange, Inc.
- Acted as transaction counsel and advised Singtel and NetLink NBN Management (as trustee-manager of NetLink NBN Trust, a Singapore registered business trust) on the S$2.3 billion initial public offering and listing of NetLink NBN Trust on the SGX, together with the concurrent S$1.9 billion acquisition of units in NetLink Trust by NetLink NBN Trust from Singtel. This is the first completed IPO in Singapore involving an internalised trustee-manager structure.
- Acted as transaction counsel and advised Nanofilm Technologies International on its S$510.1 million initial public offering and listing on the SGX. The company is the first nanotechnology solutions provider to be listed on the SGX, and the first deep-tech company in many years to do so, and had a market capitalization of approximately S$1.705 billion on listing.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd. and UOB Kay Hian Private Limited, the issue managers on the initial public offering and listing of G.H.Y Culture & Media Holding Co., Limited. The Company is the first company to list on the SGX with a variable interest entity structure through the entry into of certain contractual arrangements.
- Acted as transaction counsel and advised Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation on its renounceable underwritten rights issue of shares which raised gross proceeds of S$3.34 billion.
- Advised affiliates of the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation on their block trade of shares in Global Logistic Properties, which raised gross proceeds of S$1.55 billion.