Bernie has extensive experience in advising on a wide range of both equity and debt capital markets transactions.
He has acted for listed companies and business trusts on equity capital markets transactions such as initial public offerings, placements and rights issues. He has also advised issuers and underwriters on debt capital markets transactions including the establishment of debt issuance programmes and offerings of straight debt, perpetual securities, preference shares and convertible bonds.
Bernie regularly advises unlisted companies on their fund raising activities, ranging from early stage investments to rights issues of equity, debt and warrants, where his broad practice enables him to provide innovative and bespoke solutions to his clients. He also has extensive experience in advising on liability management exercises and the listing of debt securities and global depositary receipts on the Singapore Exchange.
Bernie’s expertise extends to providing corporate regulatory and compliance advice on a variety of matters, including interested person transactions and share repurchases. He also advises listed companies on their corporate exercises such as scrip dividend schemes.
Significant transactions that Bernie has worked on include the first retail bond offering by a listed company in Singapore and the first exchange offer of debt securities that qualify as regulatory capital in Singapore.
Bernie is commended by clients as having “in depth knowledge” and being “approachable”. Other clients have endorsed that he is “very prompt in response, knowledgeable and gives practical advice that is appreciated”.
Bernie joined the Firm in 2005 after he was called to the Singapore Bar and has been a Partner since 2011.
- Advised Singapore Technologies Engineering Limited on the establishment of a S$5 billion Multicurrency Medium Term Note Programme by its wholly-owned subsidiaries, ST Engineering RHQ Ltd. and ST Engineering Treasury Pte. Ltd., which is unconditionally and irrevocably guaranteed by Singapore Technologies Engineering Limited, and the first issue of US$750 million 1.50% Notes due 2025 under the Programme by ST Engineering RHQ Ltd.
- Advised NTUC Income Insurance Co-operative Limited on its establishment of a S$2 billion Euro Medium Term Note Programme, and its first issue of S$800 million 3.10 per cent. Subordinated Notes due 2050 First Callable in 2040 under the Programme.
- Acted on the issue of S$1.1 billion in principal amount of qualifying project debt securities by NetLink Trust in connection with the S$2.3 billion initial public offering of NetLink NBN Trust, together with the S$1.9 billion acquisition of all units in NetLink Trust by NetLink NBN Trust. This initial public offering is the largest in Singapore since 2011.
- Advised CitySpring Infrastructure Trust on its combination with Keppel Infrastructure Trust to create the largest Singapore infrastructure-focused business trust with total assets of over S$4 billion.
- Advised Keppel Infrastructure Trust on its A$1.1 billion acquisition of Ixom Holdco Pty Ltd and the financing of its acquisition by way of a S$500.8 million equity fund raising.
- Acted as transaction counsel in the rights issue by Olam International of US$750 million in principal amount of Bonds with over 387 million detachable warrants.