Importance of capital markets
Effective access to capital is vital to economic growth, and a disciplined legal environment acts as an additional spur to a dynamic flow of investment. Growing capital markets demand innovative, exacting and swift responses from legal practitioners.
Truly innovative market leader
As a market-leading Capital Markets Practice, our team is involved in many significant and trail-blazing deals. These have comprised the largest IPOs and listings on the Singapore Exchange and all of the covered bond programmes established by the banks in Singapore. Our wide-ranging deal involvement and expertise covers the entire spectrum of debt, equity and equity-linked products in domestic, regional and international markets.
Pioneering to meet our clients' needs
Our experience includes listings, global depository receipts, rights issues, retail and vanilla bonds, medium-term note programmes, regulatory capital issuances, convertible/exchangeable and other equity-linked bonds, asset securitisations, repackaging, structured finance and derivatives and Islamic finance. We also advise on post-issue matters such as restructuring, refinancing and liability management.
Our lawyers play a leading role in the rapidly evolving capital markets of South-east Asia. We are at the forefront of the development of new approaches in this sector and have led many first-of-its-kind transactions, including:
- First IPO to be simultaneously listed on the main markets of Bursa Malaysia and the Singapore Exchange
- First IPO and listing of an oil and gas company under the new listings regime for mineral, oil and gas companies on the Singapore Exchange mainboard
- First Basel III compliant regulatory issuance by an Asian bank
- First listed notes in Singapore backed by cash flows from private equity funds
- First covered bond programme by a bank in Singapore
- First true IPO in Myanmar
- First bank listing on the bourse in Myanmar
As an active participant in the sector, we constantly engage with regulators, industry bodies and leading players in reviewing and enhancing the legislative and regulatory regime.