Rhys specialises in capital markets and corporate regulatory and compliance.
He has extensive experience acting for issuers, issue managers and shareholders on a wide range of equity-linked products, including initial public offerings of companies, business trusts and special purpose acquisition companies, spin-off listings, secondary listings, rights issues and block trades.
Rhys has advised on some of the most significant, innovative and award winning listings, initial public offerings and equity fund raisings on the Singapore Exchange. He continues to advise issuers after listing on their ongoing corporate and compliance work as well as fund-raising exercises.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes that Rhys has been “praised for his ‘100% dedication and commitment’ to ‘deliver a high-quality product’ and ‘get the deal done’”. Who’s Who Legal cites Rhys as a recommended practitioner and notes that he is highly regarded for his “very meticulous, technically detailed and business savvy” counsel. IFLR1000 cites Rhys as a notable practitioner and notes clients’ feedback that he is “very 'hands-on' with his transactions and ensures close partner supervision of deals. His advice is consistently thoughtful and practical. He is very adept at capital markets transaction management, often anticipating issues based on his broad experience in the sector. His team provides excellent quality work and is very responsive”. Other clients have commented that that he is “very knowledgeable and (possesses) excellent legal capability”, provides “value-added advice; responsive; knowledgeable of the area and well connected with regulator”. Another client observes that “he is completely professional in his conduct” and “when the other side listens to his advice as well, one knows that he is in safe hands”.
Rhys has been a Partner of the Firm since 2009.
- Advised Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited and Goldman Sachs (Singapore) Pte., the issue managers on the secondary listing by way of introduction of Class A ordinary shares of NIO Inc. on the SGX Exchange. The company is the first electric vehicle manufacturer to be listed on the Singapore Exchange, the first three-way exchange listing across the U.S., Hong Kong and Singapore, the largest pure electric vehicle player listed on HKSE and the Singapore Exchange by market capitalisation, and the largest listing (by market capitalisation) by way of introduction on the Singapore Exchange.
- Acted as transaction counsel and advised Singtel and NetLink NBN Management (as trustee-manager of NetLink NBN Trust) on the S$2.3 billion initial public offering and listing of NetLink NBN Trust on the Singapore Exchange, together with the concurrent S$1.9 billion acquisition of units in NetLink Trust by NetLink NBN Trust from Singtel.
- Acted as transaction counsel and advised Nanofilm Technologies International on its S$510.1 million initial public offering and listing on the Singapore Exchange. Nanofilm Technologies International is the first nanotechnology solutions provider to be listed on the Singapore Exchange, and the first deep-tech company in many years to do so, and had a market capitalisation of approximately S$1.705 billion on listing.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd. and UOB Kay Hian Private Limited, the issue managers on the initial public offering and listing of H.Y Culture & Media Holding Co., Limited. The Company is the first company to list on the Singapore Exchange with a variable interest entity structure through the entry into of certain contractual arrangements.
- Acted as transaction counsel and advised Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation on its renounceable underwritten rights issue of shares which raised gross proceeds of S$3.34 billion.
- Advised affiliates of the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation on their block trade of shares in Global Logistic Properties, which raised gross proceeds of S$1.55 billion.