IMDA issues press release on new initiatives on AI governance, including second edition of the Model AI Governance Framework
30 March 2020
In January 2020, the Info-communications Media Development Authority of Singapore (“IMDA”) issued a press release about the following three new initiatives on artificial intelligence (“AI”) governance to enhance consumer trust:
- Second edition of Model AI Governance Framework (“Model Framework”): The first edition of the Model Framework was released in January 2019 for public consultation, pilot adoption and feedback. The second edition of the Model Framework includes additional considerations (such as robustness and reproducibility) and refines the original Model Framework for greater relevance and usability. The second edition of the Model Framework continues to take a sector- and technology-agnostic approach that can complement sector-specific requirements and guidelines.
- Implementation and Self-Assessment Guide for Organisations (“ISAGO”): Intended as a companion guide to the Model Framework, ISAGO aims to help organisations assess the alignment of their AI governance practices with the Model Framework. It also provides an extensive list of useful industry examples and practices to help organisations implement the Model Framework.
- Compendium of Use Cases: Complementing the Model Framework and ISAGO is a Compendium of Use Cases (“Compendium”) that demonstrates how local and international organisations across different sectors and sizes implemented or aligned their AI governance practices with all sections of the Model Framework. The Compendium also illustrates how the featured organisations have effectively put in place accountable AI governance practices and benefitted from the use of AI in their line of business.
The initiatives were announced by Singapore’s Minister for Communications and Information, S Iswaran, and AI Portfolio Lead, Kay Firth-Butterfield, at the World Economic Forum (“WEF”), at a joint press conference with the WEF’s Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution at WEF’s Annual Meeting in Davos in January 2020.
The following materials are available on the IMDA website www.imda.gov.sg, Personal Data Protection Commission website www.pdpc.gov.sg and Ministry of Communications and Information website www.mci.gov.sg:
- IMDA press release: Singapore and World Economic Forum driving AI Adoption and Innovation
- Remarks by S Iswaran, Minister for Communications and Information, at the Joint Press Conference with World Economic Forum Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution on 21 Jan 2020
- PDPC webpage on Model AI Governance Framework
- Model AI Governance Framework
- Implementation and Self Assessment Guide for Organisations (ISAGO)
- Compendium of Use Cases