Tham Kok Leong
Kok Leong is Head of the Technology & Corporate Intellectual Property Practice, and his area of expertise spans technology, intellectual property, data protection, cybersecurity, franchising, e-commerce and outsourcing transactions and projects as well as contractual collaborations.
He has over 25 years’ experience in advising on, negotiating and drafting a wide range of commercial agreements related to intellectual property and IT, data protection and data privacy, cybersecurity, e-commerce, Financial Technology (FinTech), outsourcing, franchising, licensing, merchandising, contractual collaborations and joint ventures, telecommunications, consultancy services, hotels and hospitality, distributorships, agency, supply and service arrangements, contract manufacturing, technology transfers, research and development, sports, online gaming, media and publishing, entertainment, on-line gaming, cloud services and streaming services.
He is recognised as a leading lawyer in Technology, Media and Telecommunications in Chambers Asia-Pacific, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Information Technology and Fintech in Who’s Who Legal which notes that he is “a seasoned technology specialist who receives plaudits for his substantial expertise advising on commercial agreements relating to a wide range of matters”. Chambers Asia-Pacific notes that Kok Leong is “a commercial, reliable and effective lawyer”, while his peers credited “him as being ‘very active in this space, especially in the technology sphere’”. The Legal 500 Asia Pacific noted that he provides “careful and detail-oriented legal advice and drafting”.
Kok Leong has also contributed to the 2009, 2010 and 2011 editions for the Singapore chapter of the publication The International Comparative Legal Guide to Telecommunication Laws & Regulations published by Global Legal Group Ltd.
Kok Leong also sits on the Board of Directors of the Home Team Science and Technology Agency.
- Advised the Government Technology Agency on Singapore’s national digital identity project.
- Advised Lazada on the rollout and commercialisation of their retail e-commerce platform.
- Acted for Singapore Tourism Board in connection with three world class events Singapore Formula One Race, F1 Rocks Singapore and Volvo Ocean Race.
- Advised Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation on the rollout of its mobile banking applications (including features involving biometric fingerprint authentication technology) for corporate customers and the adoption of wearables features in the bank’s mobile banking applications for retail consumers.
- Advised Nanyang Technological University on its collaboration with Imperial College London in relation to the establishment of Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, Singapore’s third medical school.