Covid-19: MOM updates advisory on requirements for safe management measures at the workplace with effect from 16 May 2021
27 May 2021
The Ministry of Manpower (“MOM”) updated its advisory on “Requirements for Safe Management Measures at the Workplace” (“Advisory”) twice in May 2021.
In its first update on 4 May 2021, the Advisory was updated to reflect the initial tightening of safe management measures from 8 May 2021 and provided that employers must exercise heightened vigilance at the workplace, and ensure that no more than 50% of employees who are able to work from home return to the workplace at any time, with social gatherings at the workplace to be avoided.
In its second update on 14 May 2021, the Advisory was updated to reflect the further tightening of safe management measures from 16 May 2021 to 13 June 2021. These updates include the following:
- Employers must ensure that all employees who are able to work from home do so.
- Employers should avoid organising work-related events unless critical (e.g. training sessions). Food and drinks are not allowed at work-related events.
- Social gatherings at the workplace are disallowed. Employees should have their meal breaks at the workplace individually.
Further guidance on the advisory is set out in the “Frequently Asked Questions on Safe Management Measures at the Workplace”.
Agencies including MOM, the Building and Construction Authority and Enterprise Singapore will continue to enforce safe management measures and take action against errant employers. This may include issuing stop-work orders and financial penalties.
The following materials are available on the MOM website www.mom.gov.sg:
- Requirements for safe management measures at the workplace
- Annex A - Resources to assist companies
- Annex B - Checklist of safe management measures at the workplace for resumption of business activities
- Frequently Asked Questions on Safe Management Measures at the Workplace
Allen & Gledhill has a Covid-19 Resource Centre on our website www.allenandgledhill.com that contains knowhow and materials on legal and regulatory aspects of the Covid-19 crisis.
In addition, we have a cross-disciplinary Covid-19 Legal Task Force consisting of Partners across various practice areas to provide rapid assistance. Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us at email@example.com.