Sanjiv’s areas of expertise span litigation, arbitration and white-collar-crime and investigations.
A litigator with more than 20 years of experience, Sanjiv is a market leader in white-collar defence and fraud investigations work, advising clients on matters that include corruption, criminal breach of trust, insider trading and anti-money laundering. In addition to advising clients on mutual legal assistance and extradition, Sanjiv remains regularly involved in multi-jurisdictional/cross-border fraud investigations. Currently, Sanjiv is lead defence counsel for one of the largest regulatory investigations launched by the Monetary Authority of Singapore under the Securities and Futures Act.
Co-Head of the Employment Practice, Sanjiv has an outstanding reputation in this area of the law. He regularly advises multinational corporations, including Fortune 500 companies, on various employment disputes, including claims for wrongful dismissal, retrenchment, disciplinary inquiries, and restraint of employment/trade claims. Sanjiv is noted as a key and recommended individual for Employment law by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific since 2014.
In terms of his arbitration practice, Sanjiv is currently involved in a number of arbitrations where the total claim sums are in excess of US$1 billion. He has developed an outstanding reputation in this area of the law and is held in high regard by clients.
Sanjiv is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and an Associate Mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre. He is also Vice-Chairman of the Admissions Committee of the Law Society of Singapore and a member of the Family and Children’s Welfare Committee of the Yellow Ribbon Fund. Sanjiv is also a senior trainer for the Advocacy module of the Part “B” course run by the Singapore Institute of Legal Education.
- Acting for a global company as lead counsel in one of the largest regulatory investigations launched by the Monetary Authority of Singapore under the Securities and Futures Act.
- Acting for a global company and its subsidiaries in arbitration proceedings with claims in relation to various cross-border disputes with claims in excess of US$500 million.
- Acted for an inter-dealer brokerage firm in one of the largest employee-poaching claims in Singapore’s history, involving allegations of inducement and conspiracy.
- Acted for a Fortune 500 company in a cross-jurisdictional, multi-million dollar employee misconduct inquiry, involving investigations by foreign and local authorities.
- Acted for a large multi-national in a claim against its previous in-house legal counsel for breaches of fiduciary duties, the first of its kind in Singapore.
- Acted for the ex-director of the Technology Department of the Singapore Civil Defence Force on charges of Criminal breach of Trust, with the ex-director acquitted on appeal.