Sanjiv Kumar Rajan
Sanjiv’s areas of expertise span litigation, arbitration and white-collar-crime and investigations.
A litigator with more than 24 years of experience, Sanjiv is a market leader in white-collar defence and fraud investigations work, advising clients on matters that include corruption, criminal breach of trust, insider trading and anti-money laundering. In addition to advising clients on mutual legal assistance and extradition, Sanjiv remains regularly involved in multi-jurisdictional/cross-border fraud investigations. Currently, Sanjiv was lead defence counsel for one of the largest regulatory investigations launched by the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority under the Securities and Futures Act and the Companies Act.
Co-Head of the Employment, Health & Safety Practice, Sanjiv has extensive experience in advising and representing clients in respect of employment, health and safety matters.
In terms of employment, Sanjiv regularly advises multinationals on various employment disputes, ranging from restraint of trade, to wrongful dismissal, retrenchment, and disciplinary inquiries. In terms of his health and safety expertise, Sanjiv is regularly engaged for his extensive experience in large-scale investigations and defence work surrounding industrial accidents, including advisory work on regulations governing health and safety.
In terms of his arbitration practice, Sanjiv is currently involved in a number of arbitrations, both domestic and international, in matters ranging from disputes in relation to joint ventures, energy and commercial and investment disputes. He has developed an outstanding reputation in this area of the law and is held in high regard by clients for his arbitration work.
Consistently appearing in legal publications, Sanjiv is recognised as being immediate in terms of responsiveness, solid in terms of practical guidance and highly effective in terms of achieving the best possible outcomes. He has been described as a “top-notch lawyer” who is able to deliver solutions in the midst of “complex chaos”.
Sanjiv is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and a Principal Mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre.
He is Vice-Chairman of the Admissions Committee of the Law Society of Singapore, a Director with the School of the Arts and a member of the Family and Children’s Welfare Committee of the Yellow Ribbon Fund. Sanjiv is also a senior trainer for the Advocacy module of the Part “B” course run by the Singapore Institute of Legal Education and the National University of Singapore, an advocacy trainer with the National University of Singapore, and a mediation advocacy trainer with the Singapore Mediation Centre.
Sanjiv also sits on Disciplinary Tribunals with the Law Society of Singapore, and acts as lead counsel in capital cases administered under the Legal Assistance for Capital Offences Scheme administered by the Supreme Court of Singapore.
- Acted as lead counsel for New Noble in relation to recently concluded investigations by the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority in relation to Noble Group Limited.
- Acting for a client in the commodities sector in arbitration proceedings with claims in relation to various cross-border disputes with claims in excess of US$500 million.
- Acting for a client in the financial services industry in claims by an ex-employee for damages for post traumatic stress disorder, the first of its kind in the local courts.
- Acted for a client in the financial services industry one of the largest employee-poaching claims in Singapore’s history, involving allegations of inducement and conspiracy.
- Acted for a client in the aviation industry in a cross-jurisdictional, multi-million dollar employee misconduct inquiry, involving investigations by foreign and local authorities.
- Acted for a client in a claim in the technology sector, against its previous in-house legal counsel for breaches of fiduciary duties, the first of its kind in Singapore.
- Acted for the estate of the deceased in the first posthumous call, in Singapore, of an advocate & solicitor to the Rolls.