Sanjiv’s areas of expertise span litigation, arbitration and white-collar-crime and investigations.
A litigator with more than 20 years of experience, Sanjiv is a market leader in white-collar defence and fraud investigations work, advising clients on matters that include corruption, criminal breach of trust, insider trading and anti-money laundering. In addition to advising clients on mutual legal assistance and extradition, Sanjiv remains regularly involved in multi-jurisdictional/cross-border fraud investigations. Currently, Sanjiv is lead defence counsel for one of the largest regulatory investigations launched by the Monetary Authority of Singapore under the Securities and Futures Act.
Co-Head of the Employment, Health & Safety Practice, Sanjiv has extensive experience in advising and representing clients in respect of employment, health and safety matters.
In terms of employment, Sanjiv has an outstanding reputation, regularly advising multinationals on various employment disputes, ranging from restraint of trade, to wrongful dismissal, retrenchment, and disciplinary inquiries. In terms of his health and safety expertise, Sanjiv is regularly engaged for his extensive experience in large-scale investigations and defence work surrounding industrial accidents, including advisory work on regulations governing health and safety.
In terms of his arbitration practice, Sanjiv is currently involved in a number of arbitrations, both domestic and international, in matters ranging from disputes in relation to joint ventures, energy and commercial and investment disputes. He has developed an outstanding reputation in this area of the law and is held in high regard by clients for his arbitration work.
Consistently appearing in legal publications, Sanjiv is recognised as being immediate in terms of responsiveness, solid in terms of practical guidance and highly effective in terms of achieving the best possible outcomes.
Sanjiv is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and an Associate Mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre.
He is Vice-Chairman of the Admissions Committee of the Law Society of Singapore, a Director with the School of the Arts and a member of the Family and Children’s Welfare Committee of the Yellow Ribbon Fund. Sanjiv is also a senior trainer for the Advocacy module of the Part “B” course run by the Singapore Institute of Legal Education and the National University of Singapore.
Sanjiv also acts as lead counsel in capital cases administered under the Legal Assistance for Capital Offences Scheme administered by the Supreme Court of Singapore.
- Acting for a client as lead counsel in one of the largest regulatory investigations launched by the Monetary Authority of Singapore under the Securities and Futures Act.
- Acting for a client in arbitration proceedings with claims in relation to various cross-border disputes with claims in excess of US$500 million.
- Acted for a client in one of the largest employee-poaching claims in Singapore’s history, involving allegations of inducement and conspiracy.
- Acted for a client in a cross-jurisdictional, multi-million dollar employee misconduct inquiry, involving investigations by foreign and local authorities.
- Acted for a client in a claim against its previous in-house legal counsel for breaches of fiduciary duties, the first of its kind in Singapore.
- Acted for a client in defending a prosecution for a large-scale industrial accident resulting in a favourable outcome.
- Acted for a client, the ex-director of the Technology Department of the Singapore Civil Defence Force, on charges of Criminal breach of Trust, with the ex-director acquitted on appeal.