Hsiu-Hau is a Director of Allen & Gledhill (Myanmar) and is Head of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice at the office. He specialises in mergers and acquisitions (both by way of acquisition of shares and acquisition of businesses), joint ventures and private equity transactions, in Singapore as well as in the South-east Asian region, particularly in Vietnam and Myanmar.
Hsiu-Hau is concurrently the Managing Partner of Allen & Gledhill (Vietnam) and a Partner of Allen & Gledhill. He has extensive experience advising on cross-border transactions, especially on transactions involving the emerging markets in the region, and is familiar with the legal and practical issues parties encounter when dealing in emerging markets.
Hsiu-Hau graduated from the National University of Singapore with an LL.B. (Hons) degree. He joined Allen & Gledhill in 2001 and has been a partner since 2007. Hsiu-Hau is proficient in Mandarin and frequently advises transactions involving Chinese parties. Clients whom Hsiu-Hau has advised include major corporates, sovereign funds, investment banks and private equity houses.
- Advised GIC on the acquisition of a minority stake in Yoma Bank, one of Myanmar’s largest lenders.
- Acted in four of the six joint ventures with foreign entities in the insurance sector approved in 2019, namely AYA Sompo Insurance, Grand Guardian Nippon Life Insurance, KBZ MS General Insurance and Grand Guardian Tokio Marine General Insurance.
- Acted for the sellers in the acquisition by Thai Beverage Public Co of a 75 per cent. stake in the Myanmar Distillery Co group of companies (the largest whisky player in Myanmar) in a deal worth US$742 million.
- Advised the Shwe Taung Group on its U$125 million joint venture with Keppel Land to develop premium serviced residences and offices in Junction City, a landmark mixed-use development in Yangon's central business district.
- Advised Europe & Asia Commercial on its joint venture with Unilever to create the market-leading manufacturer and distributer of home care and personal care products in Myanmar.