Yee Leong is the Co-Head of the Firm’s International Arbitration Practice and Head of the Firm’s Restructuring & Insolvency Practice. In international arbitration, he focuses on the areas of energy, oil and gas, power and infrastructure projects in Singapore, Malaysia and the region. In practice for more than 30 years, Yee Leong is recognised as a leading international dispute resolution practitioner in the Asia-Pacific region.
For restructuring & insolvency, Yee Leong has been involved in the high-profile restructuring matter for Hyflux involving complex issues of insolvency law as well as myriad of regulatory and technical issues. Yee Leong was also involved in the cross-border restructuring of the Triyards Group.
Yee Leong has been consistently recommended for his capability in international arbitration in various leading legal publications. Amongst others, in Chambers Global and Chambers Asia-Pacific, a client highlighted his “advocacy skills” adding that “he was able to point out certain angles the other lawyers didn’t.”, he was also mentioned as “an active, ‘very capable and well-known’ international arbitration specialist” and was noted as a “prominent figure in the region, thanks to his years of experience in countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and Laos”. Yee Leong was also one of the nominees (and the only Asian nominee) for the Global Arbitration Review inaugural “Advocate of the Year” award and has been named Singapore International Arbitration “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers. Best Lawyers honours a single lawyer in all major practice areas and regions as “Lawyer of the Year,” based on peer-review assessments. The award reflects the high level of respect a lawyer has earned for excellence, professionalism and integrity.
Yee Leong is a Chartered Arbitrator and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. He is a Director of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) and also on the panel of arbitrators for SIAC, Asian International Arbitration Centre and CIArb Presidential Panel of Arbitrators. He is also a Jurisdictional Council Member for Singapore for Inter-Pacific Bar Association and Chairman for Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee for the Law Society of Singapore. Yee Leong also served as a director of Singapore LNG Pte Ltd from 2011 to 2015.
In 2018, he was among the inaugural batch of select practitioners to be recognised as a Senior Accredited Specialist in Building and Construction Law by the Singapore Academy of Law.
Yee Leong is concurrently a Partner in Rahmat Lim & Partners, the Firm's associate firm in Malaysia. To read more about his practice in Malaysia, please click here.
- Representing an arbitral award creditor at the High Court of Singapore and the Court of Appeal to resist an application to remove the arbitrator and to challenge the award on the basis that the arbitrator was bias.
- Representing an arbitral award creditor at the High Court of Singapore to resist an application to set aside an arbitral award and to set aside an order to enforce an arbitral award challenge the award on the basis of a breach of natural justice and the award was deficient because the arbitrator failed to articulate their reasoning.
- Representing an arbitral award creditor at the High Court of Singapore in an application by the arbitral award debtor to appeal against the award on the basis that the arbitrator’s decision on English law was wrong.
- Representing an arbitral award creditor at the High Court of Singapore to resist an application to set aside an ICC award on the basis that the arbitral procedures were not complied with, the award went beyond the scope of submissions, breach of natural justice and the arbitral award debtor was unable to present their case.
- Representing an arbitral award debtor at the High Court of Malaya and Court of Appeal in an application to set aside an award and to resist an application to enforce the award on the basis that the arbitrators were wrong in the law and one of the arbitrators was corrupt.