Kai is a Partner in our Corporate & Commercial and Mergers & Acquisitions Departments. He spearheads our practice and growth in China and leads our engagements in the Chinese market, covering inbound and outbound investments and multi-jurisdictional matters involving China.
Kai is Singaporean and a Permanent Resident in China. He has lived and worked in China for close to 18 years since 2005 and has over 20 years of experience. His areas of practice include international mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures and investments, white-collar investigations, capital markets, corporate and commercial advisory, private wealth, and regulatory and compliance. He also has litigation, arbitration, and dispute resolution experience.
Kai has extensive experience leading and advising on global M&A and investment transactions, covering all aspects such as transaction structuring, due diligence, negotiations, transaction documentation, transaction implementation, post-closing integration, and regulatory and compliance. He has led and advised on multi-jurisdictional corporate misconduct and white-collar investigations. He has led and advised on listings and capital markets transactions on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the Singapore Stock Exchange, covering all aspects such as IPOs, capital raising, equity and debt issues, acquisitions and disposals, and regulatory and compliance.
Kai is recognised by notable legal publications, such as The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific for his expertise in Corporate and M&A and IFLR1000 for his expertise in Financial and Corporate work. He has also lectured at the KoGuan Law School of Shanghai Jiaotong University. Clients have praised him for his “very effective communication with high level of responsiveness and professionalism”, and has “business acumen to translate what is needed from the commercial point of view to legal language, (which was important as the client was) doing something new and different in the market that has never been done before.” Clients also say that he “helped think through the options and provided creative solutions that are not only in the deal but around the whole relationship with the (business) partner” and “thought a couple of steps ahead before actual things happened”.
Chinese clients have praised him for “providing highly effective, professional and capable legal services throughout, fully displaying outstanding ability and rich experience in international M&A, particularly in relation to holistic transaction management, smooth coordination of foreign counsel, practical experience in advising state-owned enterprises on outbound acquisitions, adept negotiation skills, provision of constructive and commercial value-added advice, and full commitment and investment of legal resources and energy”, which “was highly commended by (the client’s) leaders and project team, and consistently received positive feedback from other project advisors”.
Kai’s clients include state-owned and state-linked enterprises, multinational and domestic companies, listed and private companies, investment banks and financial institutions in various sectors such as energy, mining, infrastructure, construction, manufacturing, logistics, technology, real estate, aviation, automotive, hospitality, consumer goods, and banking and financial services.
Prior to joining the Firm, Kai was in legal practice in Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong SAR with leading international law firms. Most recently, he was a partner in a Red-Circle Chinese law firm and based in Shanghai, one of the rare few Singaporean lawyers to have done so in China. He is admitted as a lawyer in three jurisdictions: Singapore, Hong Kong SAR, and the UK. He graduated with a LL.B. (Hons) degree from the National University of Singapore in 2001. He is an accredited specialist mediator with the Singapore International Mediation Centre. He has native fluency in both English and Chinese.
- Advised a PRC consortium of five state-owned enterprises (including CITIC Group, Anshan Iron & Steel, Baosteel, Shougang and Taiyuan Iron & Steel) in its US$1.95 billion investment in Companhia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineração in Brazil, a global leader in niobium production (Awarded Deal of the Year by Asian-Mena Counsel and China Business Law Journal).
- Advised the Complant Group, a subsidiary of the PRC State Development and Investment Corporation, in its acquisition of the Singapore-headquartered Tialoc Group, both of which are in the international projects and construction industry.
- Advised a PRC state-owned enterprise in its proposed US$3 billion industrial joint venture with a European conglomerate.
- Advised a PRC private equity fund in its proposed US$196 million acquisition of a US-headquartered global logistics and trade services provider.
- Advised Shanghai Municipal Electric Power Company, a subsidiary of State Grid China, in its investment and participation in the national electricity sector reform and privatisation project in Nigeria.
- Advised the Greenland Group on its joint venture with the Iskandar Group regarding the acquisition and development of land in Danga Bay in Johor, Malaysia.
- Advised the Sinopec Group in its proposed investment in an oil and gas project in the Middle East.
- Advised the Shanghai Jin Jiang Group on its EUR0.96 to EUR1.21 billion acquisition of the Louvre Hotels Group from U.S. investment firm Starwood Capital Group.
- Advised a multinational listed company on cross-border fraud, bribery and corruption investigations involving the PRC, Singapore and India.
- Advised various international and local private companies, public companies, banks and financial institutions etc. on FDI, entity set-up, legal, compliance and regulatory matters in the PRC, Hong Kong SAR and Singapore.